Snoring. It’s a common problem
You’re not alone. It’s estimated that more than two thirds of Canadian adults (about 19 million) snore; 25% snore regularly – and 45% snore occasionally. 31% of men and 19% of women are habitual snorers.
What causes snoring?
Snoring occurs when the air flowing through the passages at the back of your mouth and nose is constricted. This happens when you sleep because your throat muscles, soft palate and uvula are relaxed. The narrower the airway, the faster the air flows, and the more these tissues vibrate. It’s these vibrations along the airway that cause the snoring noise.
Relationships suffer too
Snoring can have a significant, negative impact on relationships, as sleepless nights can also be distressing for partners. Lack of sleep can cause mental and emotional stress, and when this affects both you and your partner, it’s not surprising that frustration builds up and arguments occur easily. Many couples resort to sleeping in separate rooms but this puts even further strain on their relationship.
How can Unisom® Snore Relief help?
Unisom® Snore Relief is a throat spray indicated to help relieve symptoms associated with snoring.
Factors which can lead to snoring
- Aging may narrow the throat, and muscle tone can decrease
- A low, thick, soft palate
- Extra tissues in the back of the throat due to excess weight
- Sleeping on your back — gravity’s effect on your throat may narrow the airway
- Alcohol consumption before bedtime
- Nasal congestion caused by allergies and colds
- Insufficient sleep can lead to further throat relaxation
- A family history of snoring or obstructive sleep apnea